Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Gingerbread house

I know its not Christmas time yet, but I was organizing the pictures on my computer when I came across some pictures of food that I did a few years ago.  I wanted Avery to see how a gingerbread house was made.  We set out to do it.  Winco, a discount grocery store in Washington, sells some candy in bulk - that's where we headed!!

I don't have pictures of making the gingerbread dough or how I cut out the pieces.  Essentially you roll the dough out to a thickness of about 1/4" then place templates on top and cut them out with a knife, then bake.  As opposed to cutting them out after they're baked.

Using Royal Icing as glue between the pieces

You just have to hold them together long enough for it to hold

This looks like a garage, maybe next time I'll do it that way.
I guess this is a colonial style house with a den or something.  

Attaching the roof!

Damn pans are warped!

I used royal icing and candy, peanuts, pretzels and frosted mini-wheats for the
shingles on the roof.  The frosted part makes it look like snow.

Avery enjoyed creating a house of candy!

The chimney



Can you see the 'wood pile'?

I think we were bombarded by M&Ms!

 This was a fun project to do together.  We had this out for a while, then throw it out!  (After we ate the M&Ms!!)



No comments:

Post a Comment