Thursday, May 5, 2011

Decisions

After quitting my job we are trying to decide what is the next best move for us.  The choices are: stay here in Washington or move to Knoxville, TN.  My sister lives in Knoxville and we both have a strong desire to open an bakery/cafe - breakfast-lunch.  If we move to Knoxville we could open one together.  If I stay here I open one by myself.  For the past year I've been putting my products out to the public in hopes of creating a following.  I'd hate to leave that.  But with two heads doing it there is more power.  However, in my home I have a bonus room that is 20x21 ft square that I could convert into a commercial kitchen and have the bakery run out of my home.  Problem is....I'm broke and won't be able to do that right away.  There are kitchens to rent that I could use.  I'm not keen on dragging all my stuff there just to drag it back home.  I'd really have to think about that one. 
Moving there - I don't have a TN nursing license so I'd have to go without a job.  My husband would also have to transfer his teaching certificate to TN and create a rapport with the various school districts.  We'd have to put our house for rent, transfer the kids, find a home....  Here - I'd just have to work a little harder to start the business, find a job that I could work in until I can get the business up and going. 
While I quit on Monday, I had an interview on Wednesday and the second interview for the same position today (Thursday) so things are moving pretty quickly.  I'm torn about that as well.  I don't suppose I'll get much sleep with all the thoughts running through my head.  This is a Director level position and I just don't know if I want to put all that extra effort into a position I don't really want.  I want the time to start the business.  However, if I take the position I could work toward the goal of attaining the necessary equipment for the kitchen and save enough to allow me to quit.  Especially since my husband finished school and will be able to work.  This position also will have the health insurance that the family needs. 
Ugh!!  I hate these types of decisions.  If I had investors...... Oh if only.  Any suggestions are gladly welcome. 
As my daughter said, "Did you like Living in TN when you lived there?
Do you like the idea of co-owning? or not being 100% in charge?
What are the pros and what are the cons of working with your sister?
How much would it cost you to move over there?  Would it be cheaper to stay and use that money it would cost to move out there to put down on a business?" 

What I don't have is the knowledge for running a business.  The book side of it.  What licenses do I need?  Where do I get them?  What are the specifics I need for the kitchen?  Taxes.  Can't I just bake for people? 

No comments:

Post a Comment