Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Cheesecake!!

I love LOVE love cheesecake!  Only plain, with graham cracker crumbs crust and it must be creamy!!  I do not like New York style cheesecake.  In my opinion it is too dry and limited graham crackers on the bottom, not the sides.  What fun is that?

I had an order for a dozen salted caramel cupcakes and a cheesecake.  Sometimes when I fill an order I make a little extra for my family.  Recipes for cheesecake really only makes one.  This time I thought I would increase the recipe to have a small one for us.

Well, it didn't work out so well.  First I did not have a small springform pan so I lined a small cake pan with aluminum foil, filling the springform pan first then the small pan.  It looked great during the baking process but afterwards the small non-springform pan caved in.  It tasted ok, not good.  I cannot fill an order with food that is 'ok'. 

I thought the taste difference was one of two things.  I didn't calculate the recipe correctly - I had to do 1 2/3 of the recipe - or it was becasue of the cream cheese.  Let me tell you - Philadelphia cream cheese is the only way to go.  We bought a block of the cream cheese at either Costco or Cash N Carry.  I've used other cream cheese before, the stuff we had tasted okay, but when baked....

Who knows?  Anyway I made another one that day to replace the first one.

Well since we had a left over cheese cake we decided to try it.  Well it wasn't bad at all.  Maybe the lesson was that you really do need a springform pan to make it taste good. 

1 comment:

  1. What?!?! Why can't you make cheesecake when you know I am visiting?! OMG I love.. LOVE LOVE your cheesecake, did I say love? Okay, but yeah so I can't buy cheesecake anywhere else, because 1: there's no graham cracker crust on the side of the cake. Seriously? Then, to top it off, whoever decides to make the graham cracker crust elsewhere it just crumbles apart..in a dry non-buttery kind of way. ICK! Next, the cream cheese part tastes off. It's probably the cream cheese that's being used, as I'll agree whole heartedly that I have not found a cream cheese that actually tastes better than the "cream cheese" that Philadelphia makes, it's just right. And it adds that element of boldness that other cream cheeses are just flat in comparison. However, I don't like other cheese cakes, period. So next time I hope that I am lucky enough to taste this cake again. I can't tell you the last time I've had your cheesecake but it was a while ago.. I might even trade out my birthday cake (which is your awesome peanut butter chocolate cake, for the cheese cake..) or.. maybe not.. that peanut butter chocolate cake is simply to die for. *drools*

    Hey just a thought, maybe you should make a cream cheese peanut butter chocolate cake..just to try.. cream cheese frosting inbetween the two layers of delicious chocolate cake and topped with peanut butter frosting.. *falls over*

    ReplyDelete