Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Sweet and Salty Brownies

I think that's their 'official' name.  I prefer Salted Caramel Brownies.  We belong to "Border's Bucks" where you get discounts, coupons, etc... at Borders.  My husband and I both love books so this works out great.  Unfortunately he is of the mindset that because you have a coupon  you must use it.  Anyway, he had a great coupon (50% off) and was letting me use it.  Nice of him, wasn't it?  So I went looking for what I want to use it for.  My opinion is, a book to read I can get from the library, a cook book or a knitting book or some other resourceful book of that nature I should buy.  I looked and looked.  I found too many that I wanted.  I told my husband some of the books I wanted and unbeknownst to me he made a memo of this information for later use.  Christmas time came around and guess what I got?  This great book.
While looking through this book I decided I must make the Sweet and Salty Brownies. However because I already make my own caramel for the cupcakes I decided to use that caramel instead of making the caramel from their recipe. Now, I've made brownies before, but the box mix always tastes soooo good. Brownies are my husband's favorite treat! (Among many) This is the first made from scratch brownies that tasted better than the box.

My husband continually states that these brownies are the best that he has ever had.  Coming from him I take that as a huge compliment.  We have a picnic to go to and while I know everyone loves my Salted Caramel Cupcakes I wanted to bring something else as well.  I made these (as well as Red Velvet Cupcakes which will be posted at another time).

First you melt dark chocolate with butter.  Because I hate the clean up part, I put the chocolate and butter in the metal mixing bowl instead of another pot, over a pot of boiling water. 

 As the chocolate and butter are melting, in a separate bowl place flour, salt and cocoa, whisk together.  If I haven't told you before I'll state it now, quality ingredients are essential.  I bought this cocoa - dutch processed - Italian - delicious from a store in Seattle called Chef Shop, the same store that I buy the salt from.  They also have a website called ChefShop.com, shocking I know.  This cocoa really does add something wonderful to all my chocolate products!


After the chocolate and butter are melted together:


You are to whisk in white granulated sugar and brown sugar.
The picture below is after the sugars and after 3 eggs.


Next you whisk in two more eggs and the vanilla.

 The final step is to fold in the dry ingredients, careful not to over mix.

Your baking pan is to be a 9x13 glass pan, butter the sides and bottom, lining the bottom with parchment paper. I highly recommend following this step! Just trust me on that one.

 Spread half the brownie mixture in the pan, then spread the caramel sauce on - not allowing the caramel to touch the sides of the pan. 
 Pour/spread remaining brownie mix on top of the caramel sauce.


Bake


Voila  - goodness in a square!  You will LOVE these!  I highly recommend buying this book, if not for this recipe, plus so many more that are fabulous.  I just can't provide it here. 



2 comments:

  1. I still say you should try these some time with chocolate chunks! But they are BY FAR the best brownies I've had!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they are delicious, really freakin' delicious. What about adding some of that caramel yummy stuff on the top like a swirly design.. mmmmmmmmmmm with chocolate chunks on top too..mmmmmmmmm chocolate heaven!

    ReplyDelete