Thursday, June 2, 2011

Sifters!

Even though I've been baking for more than 30 years it continually amazes me how much I learn.


Who would think sifters were that big a deal?  Do you remember these?


Imagine sifting a large amount of flour with this.  I remember using one of these for one cake, my hand would get tired real quick! 

When I went to go looking for a sifter I knew NOT to get one of these!!  But they were everywhere!!







I looked many places to find a sifter that I would like, but there really aren't that many kinds.  I found this one.

Yes, its dirty.  However, the screw on 3 cup holder, while I nice idea, is really impractical.  The only way to get flour level would be to tap the edge of this cup - thus causing you to undo everything you just did.  I don't use that part.  I also don't use the screw on fine screen either.  I love this sifter.  It's quick, easy and cranks very nicely.  Only one problem - it doesn't hold that much flour.  I have not found one larger in this type of sifter.  This one cost me approximately $15.  No bad.

My big problem with this one is - what do I do after I've sifted the flour and now I want to sift the confectioner's sugar?  These are hard to dry.  Solution - get another sifter.  I got this one - same principal as the red one.  Has a crank, its larger, has the screen, what more do I need?  And it cost less than $11. Unfortunately, you get what you pay for.  That is so true here.  I don't like this sifter.  The crank is stiff and odd as this may sound it is not as quick as the other.  I don't know why and I can't explain it.


You may be asking yourself "why is she sifting the confectioner's sugar?"  Because there are lumps in the sugar most of the time.  Sifting eliminates those lumps, therefore cutting in half the time it takes me to mix the icing. 

When I decorate - whether it's cookies or cakes - whether it's royal icing or buttercream icing - nothing ticks me off more than when a clump of sugar gets caught in the decorating tip that blocks the icing or causes it to blob out of the bag!!


Until I find a better sifter these are what I have right now.  I'm gonna look online right now!  I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment