Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Harvey Wallbanger Cake

I received two requests that I am working on.  In the meantime I wanted to start this portion of the blog with one I received last year from one of my patients.  This is in memory of him.

Colonel Will Holland's Harvey Wallbanger Cake

This gentleman knew how much I liked baking, and he loved eating.  One day he asked me to make him a Harvey Wallbanger cake.  I knew Harvey Wallbanger was a drink but didn't know the particulars to the drink.  He said his wife used to make it all the time and he had the recipe and some ingredients.  He also included his bundt pan for me to use!!

These are the items he gave me to make his cake!

This is the expiration date of the cake mix he provided!!!


Thoroughly wipe shortening on the bundt pan, paying attention to the creases.

Flour the inside

Getting that center part was difficult

Mix the cake as directed

Yes, I used a cake mix, a yellow cake mix.  Then added the orange juice et al.

Pour into prepared pan

Bake

Turn out on cooling rack

Pour glaze over the cake.
 Now, you need to understand I am NOT a drinker.  I'll have beer - and do not like many types of beer - Tequila I can do, but no other hard liquors.  The cake part was good, the glaze....not so good.  I did not give this cake to him for two reasons, 1.) I was sure the Galliano was bad, and 2.) he was in the hospital.  I spoke with him about what I thought and he insisted Galliano does not go bad.

Okay, you asked for it.  I made it for him.  He invited 'the ladies' over (did I mention he was 89?) and had a 'tea party'.  He LOVED it and so did the ladies.  I did not like this cake.  I think the Galliano made the icing too strong and taste really bad.  I made a modified version of this for my husband's birthday.  No alcohol, and the glaze I made with cranberry honey as the liquid.

Recipe:

Ingredients

  • 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
  • 1 (3.5 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
  • 4 eggs
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 5 fluid ounces Galliano liqueur
  • 2 fluid ounces vodka
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 1 cup confectioners' sugar

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour one 10 inch tube pan.
  2. Combine cake mix and pudding mix in a large bowl. Blend in eggs, vegetable oil, 4 ounces Galliano, 1 ounce vodka, and 4 ounces orange juice. Mix batter until smooth and thick and pour into prepared pan.
  3. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Let cake cool in pan for 10 minutes then remove and place on cooling rack. Spoon glaze over cake while it is still warm.
  4. To Make Glaze: Combine the remaining 1 ounce Galliano, 1 ounce vodka, and 1ounce orange juice with the confectioner's sugar and blend until smooth. Spoon glaze over warm cake.


To my friend Colonel Holland.  You brought so much to my life in the short time I knew you.  I know I told you this before but you reminded me of what my father would have been like.  I love you!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment