Tuesday, May 3, 2011

I quit!

My job that is.  Not that I am financially independent and don't require a job.  I was working 3 hours from home, in a job that, while not that fulfilling, had a boss that was not supportive to her staff.  I am the type of person that speaks my mind, states the obvious and will speak up for the rights of others.  This personality gets me in trouble.  I have no intention of changing.  Many have tried to change me, but at the end of the day while I brush my teeth and look into the mirror I need to know that I am OK with who I am or what I've done.  If I do not have a boss that supports me then there is no purpose of me being there.  I will be the problem, not the solution.  The 'solution' could only exist with support. 
So, combine that along with the fact that I was not vested in the community, my family was still 3 hours away, I could not bake except for when I went home, and that I didn't care for my work environment it was evident I needed to leave. 
My husband stated to me on my drive home last night, he gave my circumstances some serious thought.  He said, "you need to bake.  Whether with your sister in Tennessee or here in Federal Way, Washington."  I called my sister on Sunday and talked about the potential of opening a bakery together.  We both want to own a breakfast-lunch-bakery.  We both have the same work ethics, we both are direct, bossy, honest and have the same love of baking.  Please note - these are not as a result of our upbringing but as a result of our own - separate - cultivation of our womanhood, or our being.  My mother was not a good cook and she didn't have this love of the kitchen that we do.  What's more interesting is that my sister's daughter and both of my daughters also love working in the kitchen. 
I called my sister again on the drive home yesterday and told her what was going on.  She gave more thought to our united efforts.  Now we need to develop a plan.  I have no idea how to develop a business plan.  But I have on my cork board an article I cut out a long time ago, "Business plan is an essential first step." 
Next up - learning how to write one. 
If we move to Tennessee I will also need my nursing license for that state so I can continue to support our family.
At least I have a goal to work toward that makes more sense this way than what I've been doing the past month. 
HOWEVER, I want to say that the people I met and the friends I've made during that month was invaluable to me.  Robin - I will always cherish our friendship.  You have strength beyond your knowledge.  Jan and Judith - two beautiful ladies that own the Cashmere Cottage Yarn shop - thank you for extending your warmth and compassion to me every Wednesday evening.  Charlotte, Debbie (Thelma) and the rest of the women that attends the Wednesday evening knitting group - you have taught me the importance of being a part of a 'sisterhood' (as Robin calls it) that I have never been a part of.  Thank you - you opened your hearts to a direct, bossy, honest and a no B.S.er type of person.

1 comment: